Monday, March 9, 2009

Just returned from a 3050 mile road trip that took me from San Juan Island to Palm Springs,CA. Wonderful time driving 1-5, me and the hundreds of other motorists. I caught up on my listening to This American Life, Bill Mahr, Science Friday and a few other shows that I don't seem to be current on. The weather got warmer and sunnier the further south I drove, Mount Shasta was not enveloped in a white blanket. Took a leisurely drive of only 500 miles a day. Stopped and visited friends on the way. The final destination was the Rivera Resort for a TED conference. Four days of mind boggling brain food and brain candy. So much excitement, intensity, brain power and positive insanity in one space. It was an amazing experience.
[check out www.ted.com]

While in Palm Springs, I went to see the galleries in Palm Dessert.That city hosts an annual sculpture walk that is funded tax dollars. It was great to be walking down this wide boulevard that had a median strip composed of grass with large sculptures prominently placed.

The city of Palm Desert has the El Paseo Art Galleries that sponsor an Artwalk the first Thursday , October thru May, in the evening from 5 - 9 Pm. They cooperatively publish a brochure that promotes this activity.

After seeing the diversity of art genres represented in this tourist city, I returned to Friday Harbor with a renewed spirit . Perhaps in the future , the galleries located in Friday Harbor can create an Artwalk for the months of June - September. More road stories....

No comments:

Post a Comment